Variety and excitement abound at the N.C. State Fairgrounds this weekend as the buildings and grounds host events such as the Dixie Gun and Knife Classic, the Southern Horse Festival, the Repticon Reptile and Exotic Animal Show and the Carolina Roller Derby. Also, those wanting to skip the mall and look for more unique holiday gift offerings will find the Raleigh Flea Market open Saturday and Sunday from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m.
Information about this weekend’s events follows:
- The Southern Horse Festival will be held Friday through Sunday at the Hunt Horse Complex. Events include the Miss Southern Horse Festival and Junior Miss Southern Horse Festival pageant, clinics, open horse shows and trail challenges. Go to www.shfestival.squarespace.com for a complete event schedule.
- The Dixie Gun and Knife Classic will be held in the Graham Building on Saturday and Sunday. Modern and collectible firearms, custom-made knives, hunting and fishing equipment, ammo, gun accessories and more will be available to buy, sell or trade. Hours are 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. on Saturday and 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. on Sunday. Admission is $8 for adults, and children ages 12 and under are free with paying adult. For a $1 discount admission coupon and more information, visit www.dixiegunandknifeshow.com.
- The Carolina Roller Derby will roll back into Dorton Arena on Saturday with a double-header event. Doors open at 2 p.m. and the first bout between the Carolina Bootleggers and Brandywine Brawlers starts at 3 p.m. Game two will be the Carolina Allstars versus the Brandywine Belligerents at 5 p.m. Tickets are available at the Dorton Arena box office the day of the show, or purchase in advance at www.carolinarollersgirls.com.Attend both games for one price; admission is $15 for adults and $10 for students, seniors 65 and over and those with a military ID. Two children ages 6 and under are admitted free with each paying adult, and tickets for additional children are $5 each.
- The Repticon Reptile and Exotic Animal Show will be held in the Scott Building on Saturday and Sunday. Vendors from around the country will be offering live animals, animal supplies and related merchandise. Hours are 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. on Saturday and 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. on Sunday. Admission is $10 for ages 13 and over, $5 for ages 5 to 12, and ages 4 and under are admitted free. Two-day general admission is also offered for $15. More information is online at www.repitcon.com.
- Country music artist Tracy Lawrence will perform in Dorton Arena on Sunday to benefit the Raleigh Professional Firefighters Association. Doors open at 5:30 p.m. and the concert starts at 6:30 p.m. Admission is $26. For tickets or more information, email email@example.com or call 919-714-7944.