It’s a busy weekend at the fairgrounds featuring dogs, cats, horses, VW bugs, luxury cars, robots and an 80s band thrown in for good measure. Check out the complete schedule of events below and come on out for the seasonable temps and plenty of free parking.
Events this weekend:
- The Children’s Spring Clothing and Baby Equipment Sale will be Saturday in the Scott Building. Gently used and affordable infant, children’s and maternity clothing, toys, books, games, videos, bikes, bedding, shoes, strollers, swings, cribs, highchairs, car seats and more will be available. This event is sponsored by Triangle Mothers of Twins & Triplets. Sale runs Saturday from 7:30 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. Admission is free. Cash only except for credit card purchases of $50 or more.
- The Raleigh Spring Premier Benefit will be at the Hunt Horse Complex through Saturday. Show features classes for American Saddlebred horses, Roadster horses and ponies, Hackney ponies, Southeast riders and a full Morgan Division. The show also offers a full division for beginning riders who participate in the academy starting at 1 p.m. on Saturday afternoon. Free spectator admission.
- Kennel Club Dog Show will be through Sunday in the Graham Building. AKC-registered dogs will compete each day in dog shows, obedience and rally trials. Hours are 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. daily. Admission on Saturday and Sunday is $5 for adults, $2 for children ages 7 to 12 and senior citizens. Children under 7 admitted free. A different kennel club hosts competitions each day: Wednesday – Cary Kennel Club; Thursday – Alamance Kennel Club; Friday – Durham Kennel Club; Saturday – Raleigh Kennel Club; and Sunday – Fayetteville Kennel Club.
- The VolksFest will be held Saturday in the Exposition Center. This is an all Volkswagen car show & swap meet. VW enthusiasts are encouraged to come buy and sell vintage VW parts, sell or show off their vehicle. Hours are 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. and admission is $10. Children 12 and under are admitted free.
- The Coastal Paws Cat Club presents the Rally in Raleigh Cat Show, a CFA all-breed cat show including household-pet class judging and feline agility competition. Learn about the many feline breeds in the educational breed ring. Shop for cat toys, grooming products, pet supplies and more. The show runs from 9 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. each day. Admission is $6 for adults, $4 for seniors and students, $3 for children ages 3-12 and free for children under 3.
- On Sunday at 6:30 p.m. the Raleigh Professional Firefighters Association presents Starship featuring Mickey Thomas, with special guest Briana Dean, in Dorton Arena. This is the association’s annual fundraiser. General admission is $26 and doors open at 5:30. Concert begins at 6:30.
- The Supercar Autocross Ride & Drive Experience returns to the fairgrounds. The Ferrari and Lamborghini Agility Experience is a 60-minute group-based experience that provides education-based instruction on driving an exotic super car, drive 3 laps around our autocross course in a Ferrari 360 Modena or Lamborghini Gallardo, and the opportunity to meet fellow supercar enthusiasts. Student driver registration required. Family and friends free admission.
- 2014 FIRST Robotics Regional Tournament will be Friday and Saturday in Dorton Arena. This is a high school varsity robotics competition featuring 54 teams from across the United States. More than 20,000 students, families and friends are expected. Seeding matches are Friday and Saturday. Elimination matches and finals begin at 1 p.m. on Saturday. Spectators are welcome from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. both days. Admission is free.
- The Raleigh Flea Market is open 9 a.m. to 6 p.m. every Saturday and Sunday, featuring hundreds of dealers, craftsmen and booths.