Forget girl’s night out, have a ladies weekend at the N.C. State Fairgrounds as the Southern Women’s Show takes over the Graham and Expo buildings Friday through Sunday. This year’s show features vendors offering spa treatments and makeovers, clothes, jewelry and gifts, gourmet food and wine, travel ideas, beauty tips, health screenings, cooking classes, fashion shows and more. Hours are Friday, 10 a.m. to 8 p.m., Saturday, 10 a.m. to 7 p.m. and Sunday, 11 a.m. to 5 p.m. Admission is $12 at the door for adults or $6 for children ages 6 to 12. A $7 advance ticket is available at Walgreens. A $5 return ticket can be purchased at the show office and used with original ticket stub for return visit to the show.
After visiting the show, stop by the Raleigh Flea Market in the Commercial and Education Building and outside grounds. The flea market is open 9 a.m. to 6 p.m. every Saturday and Sunday, featuring hundreds of dealers, craftsmen and booths.
Other events this weekend:
- The Family Stone with beach favorites The Entertainers will perform in Dorton Arena on Friday at 8 p.m.. Doors open at 7 pm. Admission is $26. This is an annual fundraising event for the Raleigh Professional Firefighters Association.
- Unleashed Mutt Spring Fling is Saturday from 11 a.m. to 2 p.m. in Heritage Circle. Activities include contests and games for dogs and people. Admission is free and donations of food and supplies will be accepted. The event will kick off with a rescue dog parade. Rescue groups and vendors will be available. Unleashed is a dog and cat store that offers natural food, treats and chews.
- The 4th annual N.C. Persian Festival is Saturday in the Scott Building. This event is a celebration of Persian culture and cuisine and is sponsored by the Iranian Culture Society of N.C. and features Persian dance performances, live music, art, food, cultural exhibits and displays, children’s activity center, handicrafts, silent auction and more. Hours are 11 a.m. to 7 p.m. and admission is free.
- Easter Bunny Quarter Horse Circuit Horse Show is Friday through Sunday at the Hunt Horse Complex. Show begins daily at 8 a.m. and spectator admission is free.
Look for these events coming to the Fairgrounds in May:
- Dixie Gun and Knife Classic, May 3-4
- Got to Be N.C. Festival, May 16-18
For a complete listing of events go to www.ncstatefair.org/events/calendar.htm.