Our Deep Fried Ambassador is busy blogging about all things N.C. State Fair related. We’ll re-post all of her Fair entries, but be sure to check out her Pretty*Swell blog.
I’ve been reading and reading and reading about the fair, and I’m glad to report that my fair knowledge now extends beyond chocolate-covered bacon. A little bit.
Seriously, this is the best year EVER to be the Deep-Fried Ambassador. As you may have detected by the subtle insinuation in my writing, I have a thing for bacon. I nearly passed out when I heard about the chocolate-covered bacon at this year’s fair. Add to that chicken-fried bacon and caramel-and-bacon-covered candy apples, and you might just find me crawling on all fours to the lemonade stand, parched from all that salty-sweet love.
BESIDES bacon treats, there are a ton of fun and interesting things to look for at this year’s state fair. Here are some of the must-see/do/taste items on my list:
- The Circle C Racing Pigs. They’re a state fair staple and adorable as can be. Chase those cheese puffs! Go piggies go!
- Deep-fried deliciousness. What do these things have in common: banana splits, mac-and-cheese, pecan pie? Yep, you guessed it. Batter and hot oil.
- Anoop Desai. Our American Idol hometown hero performs his first solo show on Oct. 22. Only 5 bucks to get in.
- A new juggling stiltwalker. Maybe he’s taller than Lynda Loveland.
- Village of Yesteryear. Watch a potter throw a bowl, and then buy one for your mom for Christmas. More than 75 craftspeople will be demonstrating their talent and selling their wares every day
- State Fair Ark. Cattle, goats and horses, oh my! Check out the sow feeding her squealing piglets, milk a cow and admire the prize-winning livestock.
- Deep Fried Triangle Tweetup. Triangle Twitter users will have a chance to meet their Tweeps in 3-D, sample fair food, hear live music and participate in a Twitter-themed scavenger hunt at the free event. #awesome!
- Vertigo Swing Tower. The picture of this brand-new ride makes my stomach jump into my throat. But, I’m working up the nerve to fly through the air in a swing 100 feet off the ground. Um, yeah. Either that or I’ll just get back in line for more bacon.
- Arts and crafts competitions. I always look forward to seeing the gigantic winning pumpkin each year. Also plan to cruise the cakes. Hands off, I know.
- Heritage Circle. Check out a one-room schoolhouse, catch a bluegrass show and sample fresh-made hushpuppies from the grist mill.
- Tractor pull. Heard ’em but never seen one. This may be the year.
Because I’m too lazy to type it all here, check out the State Fair Web site and Deep Fried blog for all the details on admission, ride tickets, vendor locations, exhibits, competition and performance schedules, etc.
And if you see me at the fair, say hi. I’ll be the one with greasy bacon fingers and powdered sugar in my hair.